[PLUG] ​Microsoft and Canonical partner to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:48:37 IST 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Vikas Tara <vik at hamaralinux.org> wrote:
> On 30/03/16 16:10, Raju DV wrote:
>

> On बुधवार 30 मार्च 2016 08:33 म.नं., Sudhanwa Jogalekar wrote:
>
> Microsoft and Canonical partner to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10
>
> Read more here
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/
>

> In my opinion this is a good thing as it brings more users to Linux.
>

> Would be nicer if Canonical would partner with themselves to bring more
> Ubuntu changes back to Debian

+1 to Vikas's comment.

About bringing more people to Linux -- not sure.   Reading the
article, the main target is developers with CLI being the focus.  IMO
they would be application devs, who use WAMP now.  I have a couple of
clients who fit this profile.   With this they *may* use the Ubuntu
stack within Win10.

Another possibility would be to bring in POSIX capabilities into
Windows.   In late 1990s, recall MS bought the company that published
MKS Toolkit for DOS/Windows and integrated it into NT4
workstation/server to meet *nix like compliance for a huge contract.
With many govt. initiatives calling for open source stack, this may be
a way to meet those requirements.

My two paisa.

-- Arun Khan