[PLUG] Need help in choosing new laptop for Linux use.

Gaurav Pant gauravggs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:19:44 IST 2016

In line..

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Atul,
>
> --- On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Atul Sowani <sowani at gmail.com> wrote:
> | I considered option of buying HP laptops with FreeDOS and then installing
> | Linux (Ubuntu primarily),
> \--
>
> I'd recommend the Thinkpad E series (in India) that comes with FreeDOS
> or no operating system. I support these models because they give the
> user the choice to install any OS.
>
>   http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e460/
>
>   http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e450/
>
>   http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e550/
>
> They are not very expensive, and have excellent keyboards. For a few
> thousands more, you can add more RAM and benefit from the speed. They
> are also not very heavy, and weigh less than 2 kg. The anti-glare
> screen is easy on the eyes, especially when you spend long hours
> before the laptop.
>
> Most GNU/Linux distributions should work out of the box on these hardware.

> Regards,
>
> SK
>
> --
> Shakthi Kannan
> http://www.shakthimaan.com

I am using a Lenovo myself and am quite happy with the performance.
But there was a recent issue relating to some Leneovo laptops which
will not allow Linux to be installed,
Check out the following link:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/09/cant-install-linux-microsoft-signature-edition-laptop

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/some-lenovo-laptops-wont-let-you-install-linux-yet-company-confirms-1465091