[PLUG] OpenWRT routers was Re: Need suggestions for ADSL wifi router

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 08:02:51 IST 2017

at bottom :-

Warning - would be longish.

On 05/08/2017, G Karunakar <karunakar at fontserv.in> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 12:54:11 +0530
> Ravikant P wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Depending upon cable type through which tata docomo is providing you
>> broadband internet connection, I suggest following options:
>>
>>    1. Telephone line (RJ-11 connector)
>>    Then you need ADSL modem+ WiFi + router
>>    D-Link DSL 2750 is good option - Link here
>>

>> <http://www.amazon.in/D-Link-DSL-2750U-Wireless-ADSL2-Router/dp/B007O7J026>
>
> I am using D-Link DSL 2730U , main difference is 2750 is dual
> antenna, 2730 single one. Works good within 40-50ft radius.
> There is a wifi on/off switch which lets you switch wifi on/off as
> needed. Has 4 RJ-45 ports.  I am using wired network with PC,
> 2 laptops & TV. Wifi only on when want to use with phones.
>
> Karunakar

Dear Dyanraj,

Long time no see. FWIW concur with Karunakar's assessment here. I have
also used 2750U for about 3 years I *think* and do get a range of
40-50 feet as well.

Also, FWIW, I have been extremly pleased with D-Link's after support
as well. Even after the warranty period is over they do try to help
you till either the device dies or the firmware no longer works
(around 5+ years) .

On another point, for what I know there are/were only couple of
vendors who sell TP-Link whose main selling point (at least for me) is
OpenWRT but none of the vendors whom I have spoken to can either
show/demo their piece or willing to test it on their premises in case
I want to make a purchase, while D-Link vendors go out of their way to
make sure the customer is satisfied before making a purchase.

If anybody knows of a vendor who sells either TP-Link or any other
router which uses OpenWRT and does testing of the modem/router
performance, ping etc. before handing it over to customer in Pune
please let me know.

Another query I have, are there any modem/router manufacturers who are
putting sim  slots in their modems/routers so I could use any
GSM-based SIM to use the router anywhere. I do know Airtel and other
specific telephone wireless broadband suppliers do that but do think
that the SIM slot is/would be probably tied to the specific frequency
the service provider has been to.

It would be nice if there are generic SIM slots where you could just
pop in any GSM sim and just use it. That would make it whole lot more
portable and hassle-free.

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com