[PLUG] OpenWRT routers was Re: Need suggestions for ADSL wifi router

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 11:46:03 IST 2017

at bottom :-

On 10/08/2017, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> I don't think any hardware vendor will flash openWRT images to their
> devices and let you test it.
> Some TP Link APs are compatible with openWRT images.  For model +
> hardware version consult openWRT web site.  Beware the images are for
> specific model and hardware version number!
>
> Having said the above, TP Link's own firmware is very functional for
> the average consumer use case scenarios.  I didn't find the necessity
> to flash openWRT even though my AP hardware was compatible.
>
>> Another query I have, are there any modem/router manufacturers who are
>> putting sim  slots in their modems/routers so I could use any
>> GSM-based SIM to use the router anywhere. I do know Airtel and other
>> specific telephone wireless broadband suppliers do that but do think
>> that the SIM slot is/would be probably tied to the specific frequency
>> the service provider has been to.
>>
>> It would be nice if there are generic SIM slots where you could just
>> pop in any GSM sim and just use it. That would make it whole lot more
>> portable and hassle-free.
>
> Take a look at MicroTik <https://mikrotik.com/products>  They have
> some router boards with SIM slots.

Dear Arun,

Sorry for raking a slightly oldish thread. If memory serves me right,
then TP-Link itself was selling routers with OpenWRT on them by
default just 2-3 years back. I remember as I had few discussions with
people when I was trying to buy a router for self-needs 2-3 years
back. If what you say is true, then there is actually no point in
buying TP-Link routers .

There are some FANCY Linksys routers but then one has to again (sigh!)
manually port OpenWRT on them .

https://www.linksys.com/in/p/P-WRT1900ACS/#product-features

http://www.amazon.in/Linksys-WRT1900ACS-AC1900-Dual-Band-Wireless/dp/B014MIBLSA

Do wish there were some openwrt natively embedded routers would have been cool.

I would also look at the mikrotik ones for future reference, thank you.