[PLUG] Help to start Linux club at collage level

Anonymous Someone amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 22:47:56 IST 2017

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:11 AM, Nitin Panchal <nitinplayinggod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there..., I'm Nitin Panchal from Karad, I'm about to start Linux club
> at my collage. So plz give suggestions & ideas
> 1. Regarding how to draw attention from non-Linux users

Why would you want to do that? How about "Providing helpful guidance
and introduction to Linux", and let non-Linux users decide if its
worthwhile switching? :-)

> 2. What functions should be carried out at collage level
> 3. How Linux will help to other engineering students than CS/IT

Linux, being an open source operating system, provides a real "peek
under the hood" for CS/IT students. If you are being trained as a car
technician, it is immensely helpful to understand how a car works
under the hood! :-)

> 4. And at last if anyone is interested in giving talk let me
> - Thanks & regards
> Nitin Panchal
> NitinPlayingGod at gmail.com

One word of advice: Try and avoid being blindsided by the
"one-true-Linux-way" -- Linux is just a tool, and smart people use the
right tool for the job. Which means there are other operating systems
besides Linux, that you and your friends should be aware of - Windows
series, Mac OS X/macOS series, the numerous *BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD), and so on. This also translates to avoiding
religious OS wars and trying to prove how Linux is the best operating
system the world has even seen. Avoid Linux politics, and you and your
friends will do just fine.

-ag