[PLUG] plug-mail Digest, Vol 29, Issue 10

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 06:37:04 IST 2017

at bottom :-

On 23/06/2017, G Karunakar <karunakar at fontserv.in> wrote:

<snipped>

> If you want classical old style desktop (like kde 3.x, gnome2.x) go
> for Mate desktop. LXDE/XFCE more useful if you want minimal kind
> desktop (and using on old machine).
>  Heavy & modern ones are GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon etc.
>
> Karunakar

+1 on Karunakar's observations. I for one root for mate but also
caution and realize it's a pretty young project with only a handful
developers and part of the project (mailing list for instance) is
closed so at times it's hard to know what's on the roadmap for the
next release. Also their release cadence is a bit weird.

Both GNOME & KDE have been there for a long time so there is lot of
maturity as well as cruft which gets accumulated over time.

The minimal desktops like LXDE are also cool if you want to have a
server with bits of GUI thrown in (not just old machines) and they
have been also there a while.

In other words, it's a case of choosing your own poison and either
contributing or regretting which poison you choose as none will ever
be perfect :)

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com