[PLUG] New Indian ubuntu mirror

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 07:39:25 IST 2017

at bottom :-

On 06/07/2017, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> Rather than relying on commercial interests like Hathway and Reliance,
> the government, if they are serious about FOSS adoption, should
> empower (fund) NIC and the educational institutions to host FOSS
> repos.  To the best of my understanding, repos at the IITs exist
> because of dedicated FOSS  individuals within those orgs. and not
> because of some policy.  Take the case of NRCFOSS - way back in
> 2005-2009 time frame it was active, promoting FOSS at various regional
> colleges but now it has gone into oblivion perhaps due to lack of
> funds.  Crowd funding is an option but I'm not hopeful that it can
> generate viable funds.

I think that's expecting a bit too much from our babus. As it is it's
only 22 percent of gram panchayats who have got broadband connectivity
in what 7+ years of the project .

http://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/bharatnet-project-monitoring-no-broadband-connectivity-in-78-pct-gram-panchayats-ambitious-project-failing-deadlines/751785/

The best way if they really wanted to help would be to have a
bittorrent service with a tracker stating where they are hosting and
advertising the same to other trackers. That would be easiest and
speediest way to do it.

>From whatever little experience I have had dealing with Govt. websites
even the most innocuous info. is tucked away in some god-forsaken
corner where it's hard to reach without somebody knowing the exact
URL.

The only bright light I have seen is IRCTC and recently BSNL's own
portal which I understood have been somewhat freed through numerous
RTI queries etc.

As far as IIT Mumbai mirror is concerned it was and always has been an
individual or a group effort at the most. The Debian mirror at IIT
Mumbai has usually been out of whack (8 hrs. to 3 days late) then
what's been happening on the actual network.

At the easiest, you can use net-select and see which mirrors it tells
you are more current and have the lowest latency, you would be
surprised.

To do this, we would have to have at least 3-4 free software groups
banding together, raising RTI queries and also putting on something
like change.org and make a big noise about it. Europeans for sure will
help us.

I am sure funds are there in GOI's budget, it's just getting them out
and into the right hands.

My 2 paise.