[PLUG] This Month in GNU/Linux - February 2017

Dhanesh B. Sabane dhanesh95 at disroot.org
Sat Mar 4 21:02:21 IST 2017

The month of February was pretty quiet. Here's what happened:

1. Valve launches SteamVR support for Linux

> https://github.com/ValveSoftware/SteamVR-for-Linux/blob/master/README.md

* Create Linux content for the HTC Vive VR headset
* Program is curretly in beta

2. Google announced first SHA1(Secure Hash Algorithm 1) collision

> https://shattered.io
* It took them 5 years to achieve this
* The paper says it affects GIT as it extensively uses SHA1
* Linux Torvalds sees no threats to GIT
* In a mail on the git mailing list Linus explained the reason :
	> https://marc.info/?l=git&m=148787047422954

3. City of Munich switching from Linux to Windows 10

4. Microsoft announces GVFS (Git Virtual File System)

> https://github.com/Microsoft/gvfs

I request everyone who would like to be connected with the members to join our IRC channel #pluggies on freenode either through an IRC client or through Riot/Matrix, as I mentioned today in the meet. You can personally contact me if you want to know more about Riot/Matrix.

Dhanesh B. Sabane [dhanesh95]
dhanesh95.gitlab.io