[PLUG] importing messages

मःसागरः look.kool at guruvision.com
Mon Sep 25 17:34:39 IST 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 1:39 AM, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Skool Looks <look.kool at guruvision.com>
> wrote:
> > I also searched and tried to import my maildir based kmail messages into
> > Thunderbird, so far failed to achieve it...
> >
> > if Anybody has any pointer feel free to punch them right in..
>
> KMail defaults to maildir format whereas Thunderbird is mbox (one huge
> file with all messages)
>
> YMMV, try concatenating the Maildir format messages into one file and
> see if Thunderbird accepts it.

Ok, there is some progress... TB now accepts and can even store messages in
maildir format.

Later on I found out plugin (addon) which lets you import messages from
maildir directories or even single messages...

a wonderful tool.

Thunderbird is much more enhanced piece of software (on Linux) than it was
previously. and I am happy it has helped me overcome problems that I
experienced with KMail.

> > One thing I did not like about akondai is...
> >
> > Everytime a version upgrade happens one needs to spend considerable
> amount
> > of time figuring out how to get them application to read old data
> > (mnessages)
> >
> > Migration process for kmail & some such is what nobody seems to take
> time to
> > think about...
> >
> > But hey, what you can again expect from Free and Open Source?
> >
> > ***So that's my first contribution...***
> >
> > Looking forward to make specific domain of about Rs. 100 or multiples of
> it,
> > for last almost 2 years...
> >
> > Could not decide who deserves it best...
>
> Can you please clarify the context between KMail and registering
> domain names and how to pay for their registrations?

There was a typo there... inplace of donation (contribution) the word that
got types (probably automatically replaced) was domain.

Rest will be easy for you once you read it thus.

A Side Story (How can forfeit my chance to be story teller?) :
I used to setup email clients for people on Windows platform when I myself
was using kMail.

We helped set that process so much that setting up email client is/has been
very easy for me compared to configuring KMail (which I have done for long
many years now)
With the arrival of akonadi on the scene the process not only got bit
complex, but also was very flecky in the initial period of akondai coming
in pircture.

When I compare now Thunderbird with it's tools and tackle available with
KMail and Kontact combination, I feel more comfortable with TB, although
first time around indexing huge maildirs consumes some time, upon
migration...

Thanks for reading and caring to raise a pertinent question.

~Shirish
Consultant Spirituel @ Guruvision