[PLUG] Has anybody made a stock ticker

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 01:48:05 IST 2018

Using part of my blog post for sharing both the rationale and what is needed.

For quite sometime now, I had been thinking of how to get a stock
ticker working in GNU/Linux. I know and knew lot of large financial
institutions use GNU/Linux as finances are secrets and GNU/Linux is or
can be great at keeping secrets. Hence I was under probably the false
impression, I would just need to go to github or some code-sharing
place and somebody would already have done something. For
self-security as I’m a freelancer (we don’t have pensions in our part
of world apart from Government and the defense services) I have
invested some money in equities and some in Mutual Funds. Now the
Bombay Stock Exchange lists both equities and mutual funds on its
exchange. Now tuning on TV and trying to figure out stocks and what
they are listing is a major time sink. I don’t need real-time quotes.
There are quite a few services which give near-realtime quotes but
even they are a bit of overkill for what I have in my mind.

I just need a ticker which takes the BSE codes and gives near-realtime
quotes and displays it in the ticker. Joey Hess made one and its lying
orphaned in debian.

That doesn’t really work for me. I did try the example as given by joeyh in

/usr/share/doc/ticker/examples$ cat sysinfo-ticker

while it works on the console on the upper part, I need it to be more
of a stand-alone ticker which scrolls at the bottom near the bottom
panel.

Brownie points if it’s able to store the output to another .json file
along with IST time-stamp. Better if it’s also able to share the
volume of trade. BSE does give all this info. for free in
near-realtime quotes as money is made by big punters who do real-time
purchase and sale within the working day itself.

Just to check out the competition, I did a search-engine fu search to
see if there is a ticker for MS-Windows and somebody already made it.

https://bse-nse-stock-ticker.apponic.com/

If this is made possible and maybe at some future date might do a
gnuplot once enough data is there.

For the data part, there are two competing services so it might be
possible to use one as primary source and the other as secondary or
fallback resource.

http://www.apidatafeed.com/product/equity

https://www.quandl.com/data/BSE-Bombay-Stock-Exchange

As shared, I did scour github.com but not sourceforge.net, mercurial
or the hundred of code-sharing sites. I did however try our different
keywords and re-arrangement of keywords in search-engines in the hopes
I get a foss BSE sticker but didn't hit anything.

I did see another one at jstock.org and
https://github.com/yccheok/jstock but github.com software doesn't give
any instructions for self-compile or/and testing. Also don't
implicitly trust random .bin files.

While I don't really care whether it's written in ruby, python,
openjdk or some other fancy computer language as Debian has most other
languages covered (only exceptions are C# and Oracle Java, won't run
them)

FWIW, I am only looking for GPL, AGPL or any of the licenses listed on
https://www.debian.org/legal/licenses/ although do prefer GPL, AGPL or
Modified BSD License as these are the most common types of licenses I
have worked it.

If any students do attempt to do it, would suggest looking at how
joeyh has done with the ticker before trying their own.

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com