[PLUG] Has anybody made a stock ticker

Skool!lookS look.kool at guruvision.com
Mon Mar 26 15:08:32 IST 2018

Moreover, I think keeping our external/software needs to minimum with
devices that we use is the key to Nirvana in this TakekNOwSavvy world.

My set of questions and answers for reference..

1. No. I do not need computer. But if I must then it should run Linux.

2. No I do not want to use Mobiles. But if I must to remain accessible,
can I stick to feature phone.

3.

4.

This list will go on.. and principally is in tune with how GNU starter
kick the but in FOSS presentations.

Hope this does NOT trip somebody's Danfoss brand Pressure
Switch/sensing-apparatus here on plug...

On Monday 26 March 2018 01:30 PM, Sudhanwa Jogalekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 1:48 AM, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com
> <mailto:shirishag75 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Using part of my blog post for sharing both the rationale and what
>     is needed.
>
>     For quite sometime now, I had been thinking of how to get a stock
>     ticker working in GNU/Linux. I know and knew lot of large financial
>     institutions use GNU/Linux as finances are secrets and GNU/Linux is or
>     can be great at keeping secrets. Hence I was under probably the false
>     impression, I would just need to go to github or some code-sharing
>     place and somebody would already have done something. For
>     self-security as I’m a freelancer (we don’t have pensions in our part
>     of world apart from Government and the defense services) I have
>     invested some money in equities and some in Mutual Funds. Now the
>     Bombay Stock Exchange lists both equities and mutual funds on its
>     exchange. Now tuning on TV and trying to figure out stocks and what
>     they are listing is a major time sink. I don’t need real-time quotes.
>     There are quite a few services which give near-realtime quotes but
>     even they are a bit of overkill for what I have in my mind.
>
>     I just need a ticker which takes the BSE codes and gives near-realtime
>     quotes and displays it in the ticker. Joey Hess made one and its lying
>     orphaned in debian.
>

> I believe you will be connected to the net all the time when using such
> tickers. Also assuming you will be using some browser for the ticker.
>
> A simple google search for "Indian stock market ticker
> {desktop/android/....} gave me enough sensible results. Many of these
> tickers can be customised as per user needs.
>
> Not able to understand why the ticker has to be under FOSS. In any case,
> live data is freely available but need to pay for the same to get it in
> your required formats.
>
> Regards
> -Sudhanwa

Consultant Spirituel