[PLUG] Has anybody made a stock ticker

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 03:22:54 IST 2018

On 26/03/2018, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa.com at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 1:48 AM, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Using part of my blog post for sharing both the rationale and what is
>> needed.
>>
>> For quite sometime now, I had been thinking of how to get a stock
>> ticker working in GNU/Linux. I know and knew lot of large financial
>> institutions use GNU/Linux as finances are secrets and GNU/Linux is or
>> can be great at keeping secrets. Hence I was under probably the false
>> impression, I would just need to go to github or some code-sharing
>> place and somebody would already have done something. For
>> self-security as I’m a freelancer (we don’t have pensions in our part
>> of world apart from Government and the defense services) I have
>> invested some money in equities and some in Mutual Funds. Now the
>> Bombay Stock Exchange lists both equities and mutual funds on its
>> exchange. Now tuning on TV and trying to figure out stocks and what
>> they are listing is a major time sink. I don’t need real-time quotes.
>> There are quite a few services which give near-realtime quotes but
>> even they are a bit of overkill for what I have in my mind.
>>
>> I just need a ticker which takes the BSE codes and gives near-realtime
>> quotes and displays it in the ticker. Joey Hess made one and its lying
>> orphaned in debian.
>>

> I believe you will be connected to the net all the time when using such
> tickers. Also assuming you will be using some browser for the ticker.
>
> A simple google search for "Indian stock market ticker
> {desktop/android/....} gave me enough sensible results. Many of these
> tickers can be customised as per user needs.
>
> Not able to understand why the ticker has to be under FOSS. In any case,
> live data is freely available but need to pay for the same to get it in
> your required formats.
>
> Regards
> -Sudhanwa

Not necessary, as shared before on the thread, even EOD (End of Day)
tickers would be good enough.

Also the links I shared for the data feed, as far as I could tell, you
don't need to pay for them unless and until you want 'live' data feed.
The 15-30 minute delayed data feed is useless for any 'real trader' as
trades happen in seconds or even micro-seconds if you look into
'algorithmic trading'

https://www.livemint.com/Search/Link/Keyword/Algorithmic%20trading

As far as the question of having it under foss, it's simple, the data
is then at the user's end and as such is able to play/understand it a
little bit.

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com