[PLUG] CoFSuG and FOSS and PLUG

Skool!lookS look.kool at guruvision.com
Fri Mar 30 15:15:25 IST 2018

You will find my responses at appropriate places wherever relevant.

Please do not assume my silence on other points as indicative of either
acceptance or rejection of the explanation.

On Thursday 29 March 2018 06:51 PM, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Guruvision Inc.
>>

> Dear Guru/skoollooks,
>
> I took a day out before answering as I usually do when I feel getting
> ticked off.
>
> Well, I do not find any inconsistency because both are distinct
> identities from each other. PLUG used to be the mainstay when there
> was nothing else. They were a law unto themselves which sort of
> accentuated the sort of limbo they are in. By this I meant the
> moderation on e-mails. Have been a moderator in many a groups and
> while do know it can be a stressful job, PLUG effectively killed what
> could have been a truly community oriented organization, more than
> once.
>
> And this is when PLUG generated most mails in October 2007 according
> to plug's archive own data -
>
> http://list.plug.org.in/pipermail/plug-mail/
>
> I wish I had more detailed data hence have cced datameet. Maybe if
> PLUG wants they could work with datameet and we could have more of a
> visual dataset than currently we have.
>
> mini-proposal - If somebody wants to do a small project, they could
> try to get PLUG's mail archive data dump and do all sorts of data
> visualization to show and share the frequency of e-mail archives.
>
> My main argument is they could have done whole lot better.  Globbing
> rules for mailing list have been known at least since 2008 or even
> earlier
>
> https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/bash-extended-globbing - see the date
>
> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/globbingref.html - According to both
> google and archive.org the first instance or sharing about globbing
> was in late 2002 -
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20021018001510/http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/globbingref.html
>
> Just to be doubly sure I also checked spamassassin (one of the more
> popular tools to check spam on email lists) and it was in debian since
> its initial release 2001 and hence was in Ubuntu in 2004 if that is
> what the moderator used  or could have used to moderate emails if they
> wanted to.
>
> Of course what to moderate and how to moderate is PLUG's own thing.

> cofsug was founded and from what I did gather in the earlier days they
> did try to have their blessing when they were doing their first event
> and PLUG didn't show any interest in it.
>
> You should have also asked this question when GNUnify is held, why
> didn't PLUG talk about cofsug
>
> http://www.gnunify.in/
>
> http://www.gnunify.in/about
>
> I find it doubly standard on PLUG's part as well not to talk of any
> other organization and then another organization is making they want
> their name should have been there.
>
> So whatever or wherever cofsug has come up with, it is with their own
> organizational skills and acumen.
>
> FWIW, as far as the individuals are concerned, all of them do know
> each other and are friends with each other but that doesn't mean they
> need to have each other blessings in any way.

How does acknowledging a contribution suddenly acquire stature of a
blessing is what you may want to explain from FOSS perspective.

Your thought that usually people may find you wise for, get defied by
the words you chose here.

PLUG has still kept it's name as Pune GNU/Linux Uesrs' Group, despite
many hurdles, when the founding trust/organization is titled "Pune Linux
Users' Group" to the best of my knowledge and understanding.

On a different track, should there be a limit for how long you
acknowledge somebody's contribution visibly alive for people to
understand and learn?

Please enlighten us further...

> Disclaimer - I may be partly biased as I have had taken part in
> cofsug's activities in the past.

Bias should be based on Merit. Not on mere participation. There is a
difference.

> https://foss.coep.org.in/fossmeet/
>
> Lastly, from the speaker's lineup quite a few speakers were either
> part of SICSR or have engaged in PLUG one time or the other.
>
> Thankfully,  for being busy and not also keeping up with my health as
> much,  I didn't send a proposal for fossmeet this year otherwise would
> have been in conflict of interest :)
>
> Sorry for the long-winded email, but not really :)

Consultant Spirituel

Guruvision Inc.