[PLUG] Gnunify 07?

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 20:32:49 IST 2006

On 12/5/06, Rohan Dighe <linuxdominatrix at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have mainly seen at student level, usually they go onn building the
> same projects during their academics like (student registration
> system, library system, hotel mgmt system) instead if they could get
> on to some real work like say
> contributing to some linux distributions say Fedora, Ubuntu... or say
> Mozilla. Usually all these websites have a HelpWanted page !
> Contribution in that manner would be a lot more helpful to them as
> well as US !!

For a student (IMHO) demonstrable results are better.  Their profs'
leanings are an unknown variable.  Moreover, most of these people
would be doing a wizard-based project anyway.  Visual Studio, anyone?

I know some MCA students in Sinhgad Instt. who were curious about
Linux.  Mostly they are interested in the networking aspect.  I gave
them some Ubuntu CDs, but I wish I could have educated them more.
Sometimes, when you start talking about Linux, people start to have
that glazed look in their eyes.

What (I believe) is required is a more grassroots approach - educate
tomorrow's decision makers today.  Get them to appreciate and
acknowledge Linux from their first year in college.  Two or three die
hard enthusiasts per class could be enough.