[PLUG] C/C++ IDE for *inux systems?

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Wed Dec 20 22:55:11 IST 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 22:10, Ashish Belagali wrote:
> Some comments and questions:
>
> (a) Eclipse will trouble you only if you are running lower than 512 KB RAM
> size. Recommend upgrading.

You meant 512MB right? Anyways If I put a gig of RAM, I can run at least 10
virtual servers on it. You are saying it takes as much for an IDE and it is
justifiable?

To be fair, I think if we play with the JVM settings and limit it to 256MB
only, it might even perform well enough on a 512MB RAM.

> (b) What could be the reasons anybody would want to learn vi or emacs? I
> mean, of course, I find a good use when doing remote log in to my client's
> solaris machine where there isn't anything other than vi. But I am
> curious... any other use?

Just for kicks and old habits die hard. Also what's the alternative? Eclipse?
Not even sun would advise that.. ;)

 Shridhar