[PLUG] Why are students/colleges not using *nix systems

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 17:35:08 IST 2006

Hi,

--- Varun Mehta <bambambhole at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Most of the college labs find it easy to install
> M$ systems on
> larger scales, cos the network configuration ease

That doesn't mean it is appropriate for system
administration or maintenance.

> [read tools easily
> available] Firewalls and restrictions implementing
> softwares [just
> click click click]

Firewalls that give full control to system
administrator are the real firewalls. Not those that
*claim* to be so.

> 2.  Most of the profs are also not that well versed
> with *nix systems

True. Why can't a student learn from FOSS communities
in India, rather than depend entirely on the *poor
engineering educational system* (exceptions are IIT,
NITs) ... (1)

> and have some apprehension to work on them, prefer
> M$ cos of usability
> issues

What is usability if there is no end-user freedom?

> 4. Most of the colleges teach C/C++ on Borland or
> Turbo C [DOS]
> versions and not on *nix systems.

See (1).

> we people
> can/should volunteer to teach and assist the college
> staff to setup
> systems, and provide support [at a nominal fee]

*Active* PLUG volunteers can take this up.

--- Shridhar <ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net> wrote:
> Profs are interested in
> getting the semester through and students are
> interested in degrees and not
> irritating profs/college.

Very true.

> *nix are harder
> to setup and those setup shows more problems so
> people avoid it.

GNU/Linux installations have been made
"newbie-friendly" these days.

> I would blame profs on first scale and the over all
> education system even
> before that.

1. Professors for playing internal politics amongst
themselves, and not imparting any *learning* to
students.

2. Age-old educational system.

3. Students, for not having the drive and motivation
to learn.

> It is the way the
> education industry is

Yes, it has become a business.

> Problem is working on unix has no advantage in
> college.

Incorrect. Most CS education in US is on *nix or
GNU/Linux. FOSS-based education is ideal for Indian
universities/colleges. Implementation has to be done
correctly.

> Nobody knows it,
> nobody asks for it. So the motivation is way too
> low..

That is why in my workshops I give an industry
exposure to the students on how FOSS is extensively
used in the Industry - which they have no idea about
in the first place.

> Wooing
> away profs/educational institutes is a hard way of
> doing things.

One can criticize, but, at the same time, one must do
something to improve themselves. Most Indians in India
that I have seen only criticize, and don't do any
*productive* work - be it for the beneficial for
others or for their own good.

Cheers,

SK

--