[PLUG] Why are students/colleges not using *nix systems

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 22:22:23 IST 2006

Hi,

--- श्रीधर नारायण दैà¤
णकर <ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net> wrote:
> Duh... I am not even computer graduate..

So, why talk about something you are not familiar
with?

> Please reread my statements. I meant an ecosystem
> that provides shelter for
> "will-I
> get-Job-if-I-learn-linux-otherwise-linux-is-crap"
> (substitute linux
> with any other technology) mentality. I don't think
> FOSS can take it.

Maybe, it has been your experience. On the contrary, I
can give you few living examples:

1. Prashant Mohan. Anna University, Chennai.
http://prashblog.com/ . Currently doing FOSS work in
D. E. Shaw Group, Hyderabad.

2. Shridhar Ratna. Anna University, Chennai. Been
working in Bangalore for quite some time. Don't
remember the company name. http://nearfar.org/ .

3. My good friends from Sri Jayachamarajendra College
of Engineering, Mysore, Karnataka - Anand Avati,
Vikaus Gaur, Harshavardhana  et. al. who work at
http://www.zresearch.com/.

4. Senthil Kumaran. Thyagarja College of Engineering,
Madurai. Currently working at SpikeSource, Bangalore.

5. Deepan Chakravathy. Bioinformatics, Anna
University. Currently working for NovaGlobal Pte Ltd.,
Singapore. Yeah, FOSS in Bioinformatics.

6. Srikanth. SSN College of Engineering, Chennai. Will
be working as a PHP web developer for a company in
Chennai. Don't remember the company name.

7. Vijay Anand. Kongu Engineering College, Erode.
Working on GNU/Linux networking at FatPipe Networks in
Chennai.

8. Bharat Shetty. Sri Jayachamarajendra College of
Engineering, Mysore, Karnataka. Working for IBM,
Bangalore.

There are still lots of students from the colleges
mentioned and others, that I have been to. When you
meet about 200 students week in and week out, it is
quite difficult to remember all the names, and what
they are doing. The above names came to my mind as I
have worked with them in organizing events, and
interacted with them a lot.

I apologise to other students who are working with
FOSS in the industry, whose names I just don't
remember.

> Me neither. I prefer to wait for people

In this industry, you have to drive to take the lead.
If you slip up, it is very difficult to catch up. The
industry is very fast-paced.

Already, so-called engineering students are wasting
four years of their time.

> I am taking C/C++. Who wants to sit and when? :)

Good luck.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan