[PLUG] Unicode file names - Are they same on Windows and Linux

Udayraj udayrajb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 14:31:57 IST 2006

Hello List
Please excuse for the long post, but read carefully.

Situation:
I use a dual boot system, Windows 2003 + Open Suse 10.1 in my
Institute. I have Indic support installed in both, and use a common
partition(ext3) in windows & linux to store documents.

Problem:
When I name a file in marathi under linux it's name does not apper in
marathi under windows, instead it shows some other characters or
simply ?????.txt, ______.doc. Linux too refuses to recognize the
windows file names in marathi. Sometimes I can not copy, use or delete
files from the OS under which I have not created them.

Interesting thing is that both OSs recognize the Unicode content
created in the either OS properly, But not file/folder names or ID3
tags in mp3 files ( Metadata ? )

Question:
Are there two unicode standards for indic? If no what's the problem?
How do I solve it?