[PLUG] Ethernet, ADSL & Wireless connectivity on Pentium Presario

Shirish Agarwal shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 12:45:36 IST 2006

Hi all,
         I've  a friends laptop on which I installed ubuntu. He is able
to use
  the web/net through the network. Hence I configured pppoe by using
 pppoeconf. Now although he's able to surf the connection breaks down
once in a while. Although I do have some things/some hints which I'm
sure might improve the situation better I have another query.
  While trying to update his ubuntu copy we found  tht it's around  187 MB
download which would take quite a bit of bandwidth of the measly 1 GB
he's got.
Hence  one of the alternatives is to use  the Reliance webworld.
This is a Compaq Presario M 2253 'AP' or 'AU' having Pentium-M 1.6 Ghz
& Realtek chipset for ethernet as well as broadcom as the Wi-Fi chipset.
                  Although I haven't been to Reliance webworld as of yet
 but wouldn't I be given an RJ-45 Ethernet socket which would go into the
 ethernet slot. Now what should I do so there is a temporary connection
 to Reliance webworld. This needs to be different than the one already
 done with the pppoeconf.  Any ideas. Would installing network-manager
 make any difference?
                  One of the other alternatives is to use my own connection
where all the details are in the router itself but how do I make so tht
its configured as a seperate connection from the one which is already there.
                   One of the last alternatives is to use the wireless ones
but that's the last thing I wanna try. Btw has anyone used the Wi-Fi public
hot spot on walking plaza, MG Road & if yes how was the experience.
                     Looking for guidance guys. Thnx in advance.

			--
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.