[PLUG] SATA Disk support

kapil pendse kapil.pendse at gmail.com
Mon May 15 14:27:51 IST 2006

> > Did you try changing any BIOS settings? You need to enable SATA
> controller
> > from BIOS. Also, there are some limitations about how many hard disk
> > controllers can be enabled at a time along with SATA (this is true on my
> > PC
> > with mobo D865GBF).
>

> BIOS may not be problem cause I'm already running WinXP SP2 on this disk
>
> -DP

True, it happened with me too. Windows XP did not complain but Linux did.
The thing is, at least at that time full SATA support was not available on
Linux. And the BIOS settings I'm referring to is such that it fools the OS
into believeing that the connected SATA disk is normal PATA (Parallel ATA)
disk. That is how Linux finds it and works with it. And Windows works
because probably windows has/had full SATA support. But I may be fully not
correct as Linux detects my SATA disk as /dev/sda instead of normal
/dev/hda. Any inputs on this from veterans here would be enlightening.

Thanks and regards,
Kapil

--
"The Power to Imagine, is The Power to Create!"
-TTux