[PLUG] Can we file PIL (Public Interest Litigation)

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 15:46:34 IST 2006

On 11/14/06, YAGNESH N DESAI <ynd at hzw.ltindia.com> wrote:
> My dear friend you are taking the argument too far in tangent.
>
> Please note that I am telling that my right to choose is hampered 'cos
> "Windows only" CD is supplied with the hardware.

Your right to choose is limited by whats available in the market. Fair
enough. There are many cases when I want books (or other products)
which are not available in the market. I can't hope for the government
to have a policy that the bookshops keep those books. If it doesnt
sell much, its too expensive for them to keep those books.

> Also govt can always have
> policy to promote something which is better for country. Subsidy on LPG,
> Urea & Diesel are just few to mention is this free country.

What you are talking of is products available in the market. The
government cant do anything about whats not available in the first
plce.

> Same also
> prevails in USA (so called MOST DEMOCRATIC)

Cough Cough!

> I am asking for drivers/support for Windows AND other (at least one other
> OS). Note the AND part of it . . .

Why one more? Will support for Windows 98 and Windows XP count as two?
How about SCO Unix then? Will that suffice? Whats the logical reason
behind having just one more? What if the manufaturer can't afford it?
And all this when noone is forcing you to buy their hardware in the
first place. If you don't like their service, don't use it.
The whole point is that YOU as a Linux user are being inconvenienced.
The rest of the public isn't since a vast majority today uses Windows.
Instead, it will be much better to use the resources that would be
spent for PIL to get a Linux driver written, even if it needs some
reverse engineering. Don't go to the government to get your problem
solved. Solve it yourself.
If there is anything you don't agree upon here, lets just agree to
disagree. I rest my case.
--
aditya