[PLUG] Pls recommend distro for kids PC

sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 14:11:53 IST 2006

On 11/20/06, Makarand Mhaiskar <kaajoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Found some nice tips at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Live_CD_Tips for saving
> configuration file and booting from it.

If you can run Knoppix on this PC, you should be able to run FREEDUC
also.(Read the article on PLUG website about the same)

> My latest plan: (I installed win98 (~200mb) plus some games and fun
> programs)
> I'll give the kids a Knoppix CD and a floppy (with saved config file). So
> when they are bored with Windows, they can boot from Knoppix CD and play
> more games... best of both worlds :-).

You dont need to goto Windows for anything. FREEDUC should be more
than sufficient for you.
Damn small linux could also be another choice fi you want to try out
different appliations for similar functionality.

> Incidentally Knoppix does a good job of loading correct drivers, especially
> for sound card and graphics (for Win98, I first had to use a tool to find
> out the devices, then search for and download the drivers).

You may try knoppix games or Morphix games CD. Check out the list of
CDs available with PLUG.

-Sudhanwa