[PLUG] [OT] Dual booting Linux with Net/Free/OpenBSD

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Thu Sep 7 16:33:06 IST 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 16:04, Arindam wrote:
> I am planning to experiment with one of the BSD flavours alongside
> Linux on an x86 box and I was wondering which version would be good to
> use - FreeBSD 5.2/4, NetBSD ??, OpenBSD ??.

Any would do. In past I have made it work with free and net. But recently I
have repeatedly lost the boot sector signature of netbsd and lilo couldn't
boot it. I didn't debug it much since I have nuked it since then.

> I plan to install the BSD OS on a partition of about 6 GB - should
> that be enough - for mainly programming purposes - although I would
> like to take a look at the GUI also.

You would need a primary partition..

I find the GUI exactly the same as slackware.. ;) KDE is all the same though
lot of things such as system monitor does not work on netbsd.

> Can I use GRUB to dual boot?

Yes

 Shridhar