[PLUG] How to install solaris...? (Nobie)

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 10:54:16 IST 2007

On 4/6/07, KAPIL <axn_kapil at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hello all,
>               i'm nobie to the solaris, i have tried most of linux flavours, i want to ask is there any diffrence in installing solaris and Linux, as we do while linux partitioning, swap, filesystem, dual bootin wid windows, and other important things...
>   Thank in advance

Hi.

Installing Solaris is somewhat similar to installing Linux.

1. Boot your computer with Belenix (I have the latest and can give one
to you), or use the slightly older Solaris HCL
(http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/sx/  - run the tool) to find out
if Solaris x86 has support for your hardware.

2. You'll need to have a primary partition free. You could use gparted
(available as either a LiveCD or as part of Ubuntu) to resize an
existing primary partition to create one more primary partition.

3. Your installation experience will vary depending upon which
OpenSolaris based distribution you use. Solaris and Solaris Express,
Belenix, Martux, and Nexenta each have a different installer.

4. If you use Solaris or Solaris Express, the Grub menu will have an
entry for existing Windows. It may perhaps have entries for existing
installations Linux too - I don't use Linux anymore so I've not tried
this. In case you choose to install Belenix, you'll need to note down
existing grub entries and update the new grub menu list yourself.

5.

Resources:

a. We'll have a Pune Open Solaris User Group meet either tomorrow or
next weekend (I've not followed up with the other list members - my
bad :( )