[PLUG] Booting Problem in Mepis: Distribution selection

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 16:31:38 IST 2007

On 4/18/07, ॐ <guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically there is not much point in switching distributions but
> amount of *specific* help you get may vary depending on userbase in
> the vicinity (I mean LUG) for distribution of you choice.
>
> So i can only offer generic advice based on general practices because
> I understand little of deb based systems.  Although I now many times
> end up telling people to try ubuntu, I am on Mandriva for a good
> reason that it works for me even now, when I have gone from power user
> to dumb user :-)
>
> Had I got ubuntu CD with me, I might have tried it with Laptop.  But
> the ubuntu I saw last time did not install KMail which is my favourite
> of few years.

Fedora Core 6 with Livna and Freshrpms repositories is as good, or even
better a distribution than any.  I switched back from Mandriva 2006 after a
good year because the 2007 DVD I had received from LFY (you know the story)
ruined my system, but I have installed 2007 for a friend and it was working
very well except for the drivers for his onboard nvidia 3d card (intel d102
MB).

Till some months back, I had no reason to switch from FC6 as broadband is a
great equalizer for distros, but recently my oft-quoted, unsolved problem
with BSNL/Netgear combo has made me think of switching again.

I will be using the hardware with MTNL soon, and if I find the same problem
repeating, I will post the problem again.