[PLUG] [ot] make free - ruin the country.

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 10:37:33 IST 2007

On 4/26/07, आदित्य लघाटे <laghatea at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/07, Vaibhav Kulkarni <netvaibhav at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/26/07, A G <subscrive at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > > And so if they are not using this service, why should they pay?
> >
> > There may be people who do not use roads at all, why are roads free?
>
> Roads are free?? Don't u pay u t taxes???

Part III:

You can make a similar case for broadband.  If basic access is given
for free, it will have two benefits: it will accelerate the creation
of a knowledge economy by spreading the internet's usage *wider*, and
it will create a better mechanism to let people use paid services -
thus offsetting a part of the cost.

However, there are a few caveats:  one is that this is largely a
political statement and some wish-speak.  Maran may as well wish you
had a pony.  The other is that this can lead to deviation from the
principle of net neutrality, by providing tiered services (remember
the triple play announcements?).  Also, a free provision of something
will in most cases result into its inefficient usage.

Still, I believe that a basic free ADSL provision (just like the free
calls on your landline) may not be that bad an idea.  If people like
it enough, they can go for a paid plan.  Popularity will also result
into demand for services from private players, wireless access, etc.
the latter of which also can be free up to a certain limit.

I think I have said more than enough now, so I rest.