[PLUG] Boot problem

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 22:25:55 IST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 8:36 PM, Ranjit Bhonsle <ranjya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> Since about 10 days I cannot boot into Win XP and Fedora 7. Sometimes
> Fedora
> 7 boots.  For Win I have to use safe mode and restore to some point
> earlier.
> FC7 i have to boot in single mode and then start x. Sometimes nothing is
> needed.

Hi Ranjit,
                 Did you find any specific pattern in things working/not
working ? for eg. FC7 boots well after you reboot from SUSE, but doesn't
work when you reboot from Windows.
Or is it truely random ?

Could this be hardware related ?

Could be. Does the amount of time you run the system before rebooting change
the results ? RAMs and HDDs can have overheating problems. They can work
flawlessly for even half an hour, before starting to exhibit wierd problems.

Should I reinstall say FC8 instead of FC7 ?

IMHO, if resources permit, you should try to get to the root of the prob. If
the disk is nearing its end, writing a few more GBs can lessen chances of
successful retrieval of whatever data you have on it.

Can Suse have caused it ?

Don't know :-/

BTW, do you mount all your partitions at boot ('auto' in fstab) from FC7 &
SUSE ?

HTH.

Best regards,
Pranav