[PLUG] Cheat Sheet / Quick Start Guide

Devendra Laulkar devendra at laulkar.com
Fri Dec 21 22:40:13 IST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 22:34 -0800, Manas Alekar wrote:
> > We can go on arguing why [Insert your fav distro here] is not included
> > in the list.
>

> Debian is not any other distro.
> http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Firstly, I didn't  say that Debian is not a major distribution.
Secondly, Distrowatch is not authoritative. They have listed a general
guide, which is not based on any numbers. Currently, number 1 ranked
Linux distro according to Distrowatch is PCLinuxOS. It is confusingly
similar to PCQLinux - which was distributed along with PC Quest
Magazine. To complicate things further, PCLinux OS also publishes a
monthly magazine online. A lot of students want to buy PCLinuxOS (which
I think does not contain as many development packages as PCQLinuxOS)

> The sheer number of debian users in the world indicate that even thought it
> might be out of favour in PLUG as a newbie distro we have to list it.

I really don't want to please the entire world with the list that I
created. The flyer was created with a very specific purpose, which I
believe is fulfilled.

-Devendra Laulkar.