[PLUG] Linux based phones.

Desi Penguin desipenguin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 12:38:22 IST 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 10:55 AM, Pranav Peshwe <pranavpeshwe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>                            Does anybody have any experience of using Linux
>  based smartphones available in the (Indian) market ? Google gives
>  a lot of results, but i would like to know real life experiences.
> Also, how do they compare with 'Windows Mobile' phones ?

I have been using A1200 (motoming) for about 18 months now, without any
issues.
Some of the points mentioned by others apply :

1. Touchscreen only - Avg battery life of 2 days.
2. Has a flap, which hosts the earpiece Not sure whether I am able to
explain correctly) It is NOT a passive protective cover.
3. No way to pickup a call without opening a flap (may be possible using
bluetooth hands free, I have not tried)
4. Not easy to open the flap using one hand (Usually good thing, but due to
#2 and #3 above, this posses problem at times.)
5. Very active community -
http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/tags/index.php/a1200/
6. Lots of applications available, may not be 1:1 mapping with applications
for WinMobile.
7. Doesn't have EDGE/WiFi, if that is requirement

-DP
--
On the internet, no one knows you are a penguin