[PLUG] Query regarding installation

Ranjit Bhonsle ranjya at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 08:19:53 IST 2007

On 1/23/07, Vinayak Merwade <nayak0986 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> First of all I wish you a belated new year greetings .
> I'm going to install Linux in my system .
> 1) I would like to know that whether I have format my disk for this reason
> ?
> 2) I want make dual boot i.e. both dos and Linux
> 3) Or without harming the earlier installation can I do the same?
> 4) I have 80gb hdd, I can keep 10-15 gb free for linux installation
> (as my main work is on widows platform but due to other work i have to use
> linux)
> I need your help!
>
> Vinayak Merwade.

1. No. If you have a empty partition it will do just fine.
2. DOS!! really. Maybe it is FAT32?
3. No problem with modern distros Fedora6, Ubuntu etc BUT always backup
important data. Since you have 80gb no problem there.
4. That is just fine. A swap partition double your RAM and a Root partition
will
work to start with. You can also have a /home partition if you get linux
fever.
regards,
Ranjit.