[PLUG] Free Softwares for School

Roshan d_rosh2001 at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jul 8 12:35:41 IST 2007

--- Devendra Laulkar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > ZIP software (7-ZIP)
> >
> > Instead of 7-zip, I would recommend ZipGenius
> > (downloadable from
> > http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/?page_id=10)
> > It has a wider support to open even .rar files.
>
> 7-zip also can open rar files.
> Zipgenius is *not* free software.

Well, if 7-zip has improved its support, great. I'm
not using it. The OP's requirement was about freely
distributable software. I know ZipGenius is _not_ Free
software and I also mentioned whether this list is
compiled for Windows.

> > > Chat client
> >
> > Are you sure you want to include something like
> > this?
>
> Why not ? I don't see any reason for not including
> chat clients. Gaim is there. Can be useful to keep
> in
> touch with friends. Or it can be used by teachers.

Well, I'm generalizing based on experiences, though it
may be wrong to do so. However, it has been true most
of the times, that such softwares are mis-used.

> > FSF of India Associate Fellow -
> > http://www.gnu.org.in

> If I were you, I'll be careful using this signature.

Though I agree with your view, all that I can say is
I'm trying to reach what the signature says. Also, to
those who I send emails, have an opportunity to find
out about Free Software, which I believe is the root
of all revolution, in the FOSS world. And apparently,
the media image has let people forget about all its
efforts.

I have been a Windows user and had a look at the list,
which indicated, the use of these software on Windows.
Also, AFAIK, Acrobat PDF Reader is not Free Software.

--
FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
http://www.somaiya.edu/sksasc