[PLUG] Unicode Devnagari using Linux

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Mon Jun 25 17:45:42 IST 2007

On Monday 25 June 2007 17:14, शंतनु (Shantanoo) wrote:
> > Could anyone give me a hint? I want to type using
> > Unicode characters, because the older ones are
> > incompatible, and mess up everything.

OK. Whatever follows has base on KDE3.5 and slackware. It has been long since
I have to modify much of X settings so I don't remember the "old" way neither
I need to, I guess.

You need three things

- keyboard map
In KDE control center,  go to Regional and accessibility -> Keyboard layouts.
Select multiple keyboard layouts and add devngari keyboard layout. In
switching options, select application as switching policy so that you can
work on roman and devnagari keyboards in different applications
simultaneously.

Also in Regional and accessibility -> Keyboard  shortcuts, assign a simple
shortcut for switching keyboards on the fly. I use Win+Escape.

- Fonts
I use slackware 11  and slackware current and the distribution has the
devnagari fonts as a part of default install.  Some of the prominent ones are
lohit,padma,utkal,gargi,Kedage,kalimati etc. Gargi is one I have used with
good results.

You can obtain these fonts from net and install using KDE control centre.

Sudhanwa has released a devnagari unicode font also.
http://aksharyogini.sudhanwa.com/

- Keyboard layout
Marathi keyboard layout (and lot more) can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari.

HTH

 Shridhar