[PLUG] Re: Please suggest software(s) for data backup on DVD+R.

Devendra Laulkar devendralaulkar at gmail.com
Tue May 29 19:47:56 IST 2007

Hi,

> "The actual disc recording in K3b is done by the command line
> utilities cdrecord, cdrdao, and growisofs."

Any particular reason for not using K3b + growisofs ?

> > > On the side note, I believe (sadly though) this is what Linux lacks in
> > > DVD-backup as compared to a particular Redmond originated popular
> > > windowing OS - availability, ease of configuration and ease of use. No
>
> > > insult intended.

I will take the above statement as a flame-bait. It is akin to saying that a
Gentoo installation takes a very long time and hence GNU/Linux has a very
slow installation. You are using Slackware;its not one of the user friendly
of the distros out there. Usually in slack, you are supposed to know things,
write your own config files and the works.
As an aside, Mandriva has a menu driven backup tool, which specifies which
files to backup in a specific device at specific frequencies.

> Your experiences with inability to use K3b for burning DVD's would have
> > strongly supported your claim about "availability, ease of configuration
> and
> > ease of use".  As of now, it is hearsay at best.
>
> Instead of trying to hit me back, just suggest me a package which I
> can download, (possibly compile), install and start using right away.

Download dvd+rw tools http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/tools/?M=D
Install it and run xcdroast again. There might be some configuration page
for auto-detection of external programs which you might have to run. Another
tool would be graveman. K3b is always there, and also has an auto-detection
of external programs.

Again note that there might be compatibility issues and configuration things
that you might have to do to get xcdroast and dvd+rw tools working together.
If you are looking for availability, ease of configuration and ease of use,
Slackware is probably not the way to go.

Regards,
Devendra Laulkar.