[PLUG] installed application disappears !!!

Chetan Kumar chetanku at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 09:24:04 IST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 5:57 PM, Devendra Laulkar <devendralaulkar at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Open up a console and run whereis :-
>
> whereis gaim
> Check from Mandrake control center(mcc) if the package
> is installed or if it is installable.

I am through with the basic stuff like this.
I was hoping for some hotshot admin hand to offer some more sophisticated
thoughts and leads.

> Did you update the repositories / install any software
> updates ?

I did installed (as mentioned in the opening mail). Nothing more than that.

Weird stuff.
I was wondering (there was no real basis for this) if my changing the
nameserver entries to opendns in resolv.conf made me vulnerable in
some way and there was some mischief like rootkit installation. I checked
for rootkits just to be sure. Nothing threatening found.

I have installed the application again ;-)
Chetan