[PLUG] Setting up a mailing list (server)

Aneesh Mulye aneesh.mulye at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 21:45:38 IST 2007

On 01/09/07, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- Aneesh Mulye <aneesh.mulye at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking for information on how to set up a
> > mailing list server
>
> And you didn't use any online search engine?

First of all, thanks.

As for searching - I did, but didn't find specifically what I was
looking for. I'm looking to set up a system identical to the one we're
using right now. I checked up my distribution's Help pages, and found
this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/server/C/mailman.html

I think that does it. The installation was a bit tricky, but it worked out.

However, there is still a problem. I don't have a domain name. I do,
however, have a static IP address. In such a situation, will a MTA
like exim4 or sendmail be able to send and receive mail?

I apologise if my questions sound amateurish, but this is my first
attempt at installing and configuring mail services.

--
धर्म एव हतो हन्ति धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः।
तस्माद् धर्मो न हन्तव्यो मा नो धर्मो हतोऽवधीत्॥