[PLUG] Error booting GeeXboX off USB HDD (LiveUSB)

Vishal Rao vishalrao at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 17:29:23 IST 2007

I'm trying to get the GeeXboX 1.1 i386 ISO to boot off (not install) a
8GB USB HDD.

I've copied over the contents of the ISO, then moved the boot files,
then renamed isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg and edited it for syslinux,
so that it appears to boot fine.

The problem is that my PC shuts down after most of the progress bar
has completed, debug mode shows an error like "sbin/init syntax error
( expected".

It works okay if I burn the ISO to CD then boot off it...

Does anyone have any idea why this error occurs and how to get it to
boot directly off the USB HDD?

Right now as a workaround I'm going to try to repartition the HD with
gparted, boot off the CD and install onto the HD... will post results
of that soon...

My goal is to basically carry a bootable GeeXboX USB HDD and with the
8GB space it should hold about 10 movies to watch :-)

--
"Thou shalt not follow the null pointer for at it's end madness and chaos lie."