[PLUG] [OT] Content in UTF-8 encoding : how often do you come across it ?

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 16:14:45 IST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Devendra Laulkar
<devendralaulkar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does your question imply that why don't we have something like project gutenberg for local languages ? Anyways, I always wondered about this question. There has been some effort by IIT's and other institutions, but it seemed to be scanned images of text, instead of the actual literature in UTF-8.

In a way yes, you did put it across much nicely than I could. I don't
see enough content that is shared via a Project Gutenberg or like
system. And, I don't come across enough content in UTF-8. There are
umpteen magazines and thus content must be created regularly, what I'd
really like to know is what stops the authors from pushing them out in
UTF-8. This is somewhat in the context of the fact that the Indic
content creation experience is significantly improved since the early
days of IndLinux.

I am not really interested in the scanned images. They are good
efforts, but don't end up addressing the issue.

--
You see things; and you say 'Why?';
But I dream things that never were;