[PLUG] fossconf update

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Wed Feb 13 07:11:12 IST 2008

Hi,

Fossconf took place in Chennai on Feb 1 - 3 2008. There were around
100 talks, 40 demo stalls with student projects done in FOSS and
tutorial sessions. The attendance was around 700 on the first day,
1500-2000 on the second day and around 600 on the third day. About
80% of the audience were engineering college students. Volunteers and
student projects came from engineering colleges in Chennai as well as
from colleges in Salem, Madurai, Vellore and Tirunelveli. Most of the
speakers were first time speakers, and although the bulk of them were
from Tamilnadu, we had speakers from Mumbai, Bengaluru, Pune,
Hyderabad, Goa, Trivandrum and Nellore. We also had a large number of
speakers from the academic community who were participating in a FOSS
event for the first time.

The event was pretty chaotic at times since all of us were n00bs at
conducting conferences. Many speakers had a rough time. In spite of
the huge attendance, poor logistics lead to many talks having a very
thin audience. But by and large, the feedback we have got has been
positive.

We thank those members of your LUG who helped out in the event and
gave us support. We hope to see more of you at Fossconf 09

You may browse the slides here:
http://registration.fossconf.in/web/browseslides/

--

regards