[PLUG] grub-install error

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 08:52:56 IST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 8:28 AM, Ranjit Bhonsle <ranjya at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I had to reinstall WinXP due to software problem.
> After install I tried to reinstall grub to mbr.
> While mounting to /mnt/sysimage it says
> error occured only part of system mounted.
> I cannot find /sbin/grub-install.

Hi,
    Which distro is it ?

> Only method of repair I know of would be
> upgrade reinstall but all installed progs
> and customisations would go me guess.
> Another thing is I have Suse10.3 also
> installed but I don't like its grub,

Why ? Is it any different from the standard GRUB ?

> maybe
> I can try grub install from there.
> I am not very comfortable with Suse though.
> suggestions would be welcome.

One thing i can think of is - try Knoppix(or any other livecd), to
chroot to your distro and do a grub-install.
Or you can try supergrub - a tiny(384K download) but useful software.

Before changing the mbr, a backup(eg: `dd if=/dev/hda of=MBR.bak
bs=512 count=1`) would be highly recommended.

In the long run, you could use such a backup file to boot into Linux
via the NTLDR. This way, Linux remains bootable inspite of Windoze
re-installs and there is no need of grub-install etc.

HTH...

Best regards,
Pranav