[PLUG] FOSS for Maths meet at BP

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 22 17:49:41 IST 2008

bp wrote:
> Hello,

>>> If anyone using octave they are welcome.
>>>
>>> Our concern is education and not commercial use.
>>> FOSS=Free and/or Open Source Software that is how we see towards it.
>> Redefining commonly understood terms to fit specific agendas doesn't
>> seem like a good start for education.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOSS
>
> I would like to invite you to give 10 minutes talk on what is good start for
> education. We have no specific agendas nor this meeting is formal.

Regardless of the nature of the meetings, a basic understanding of
fundamental concepts is a good thing and that doesn't require 10 mins of
hand holding.

> If anyone can talk on octave you are welcome.
>
> Here is one site from where I understood FOSS=Free and/or Open Source
> software.
>
> http://nrcfoss.org.in

Free and open source software in that context has a very specific
meaning.  It doesn't mean free as in gratis. Scilab is semi proprietary
software available for gratis and is not FOSS. Here is another reference.

http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_refs.html

You certainly are free to hold a meeting and educate people on Scilab
but calling it FOSS is misleading.

Rahul