[PLUG] Gcompris in Urdu Launched !!

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Sat Feb 23 06:34:21 IST 2008

On 23-Feb-08, at 12:48 AM, Nishit Dave wrote:

>>  please distinguish between localisation l10n and
>> internationalisation
>>  i18n.
>
> I am not so thoroughly well-versed in all matters techno-FOSS, but I
> think localization is a term that gets bandied about freely, and
> that's what I was talking about.  Just another way of putting in my

in brief - i18n is to make an app usable internationally - basically
it means marking the strings for translation so that it can be
translated and used everywhere. This is done on a per-app basis, and
mainly deals with language and some formats.

localisation is done per-locale basis - classic example would be for
address books. Click on India and you get a list of Indian states,
click on a state and you get list of cities in that state. At the
same time the app expects a pin code of six digits and phone number
of a certain number of digits etc etc. This kind of thing is done
once per locale and all software can use it.

of course the distinction is blurred - for salutation shri, thiru, Mr
- is this per app basis or per locale. Same with dateformat, decimal
separator etc.

due to people confusing the terms, not much is being done in l10n in
India. That is why I would like to emphasise on distinguishing the terms
--

regards
kg