[PLUG] bsnl database migration

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 06:31:01 IST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:36 PM, krazy lizard <krazy.lizard at gmail.com>
wrote:
<snip>

> bsnl also provides directory in the form of a cd. i was trying to
> migrate the database of bsnl customers to mysql. the problem is that the
> cd is made to run specifically  on  windows  using  Visual  foxpro &
> dbase. i can migrate the database, but there is another problem, the
> address field in the database is encrypted, so i get all the required
> data in the tables except the addresses. if i try to find the numbers
> manually, it shows the address but otherwise it's encrypted. any
> suggestions or work around to this problem?

Hi,
      I can tell you that the encryption is not very difficult to break.
      But, the more important question IMHO is, are you planning to use the
DB in a commercial app ? I doubt whether that would be legal, especially
since BSNL has tried its best to protect their customers' details by
encryption.

My 2 cents...
Comments welcome.

Best regards,