[PLUG] Troubleshooting date and hwclock

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 13:49:21 IST 2008

On Saturday 05 Jan 2008, Santosh Dawara wrote:
> Dear PLUG,
>
> I need help troubleshooting a Linux RedHat (Centos 4.4) installation.
> I am not sure if the problem is with the OS or with the Hardware
> clock (CMOS).

In addition to other's suggestion, I strongly suggest:

a) you run the ntpd service which will sync. the kernel clock to an
external time server (many available on the 'Net)

          **OR**

b) create a script (ntpdate -u <time server>) which will update the
kernel clock at regular interval (depends on your leaning)

          **AND**

then sync your CMOS (hw) clock with the kernel clock
"/sbin/hwclock --localtime --systohc" replace --localtime with --utc if
you want CMOS clock as UTC.

HTH,
Arun Khan