[PLUG] Configuring Server

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 10:12:41 IST 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Aman Kumar Jain <aman at symbi.in> wrote:

> Hello,
>   I have a PC with a dedicated IP address and am using it as a
> server. I have also purchased a domain name and I am redirecting it to
> my IP.
>   Now the problem is, after redirection the url changes to my IP
> address.So, can any one help me by writing the process of configuring
> the server such that it shows my domain as the URL and not the IP
> address?

Hello Aman,
                  I guess, the problem is not with your (web) server but,
with the way the redirection is being done. I guess, you are doing a URL
redirect/forward i.e redirection using http. Am i correct ?
     A standard way to redirect a user to your IP would be by adding an 'A
record' (address record) in the DNS entries for your domain. This is how
almost all the sites do it on the Internet. Domain registrars generally give
control of the DNS records to the user. If not given, you can raise a ticket
with them and ask them to do it for you.
     If you wish to stick to URL redirection then, you can chose to 'cloak'
the URL which is redirected(your domain name, in this case). When cloaked,
the browser address bar will continue to show your domain name but, will
actually contact the URL or IP to which you have redirected.

HTH.

Guys, please CMIIW.

Best regards,
Pranav