[PLUG] Intel switches from Ubuntu to Fedora for Mobile Linux

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 25 08:25:51 IST 2008

Manas Alekar wrote:
>> Hohndel pointed out that RPM packages
>> include licence information; the DEB package management as used by
>> Ubuntu and Debian doesn't have this information in the package files.
>

> I think this reflects on the philosophy with which the Debian project and
> the RedHat work. One is a free-software-only distribution, while the other a
> company :-)

I don't see what how packaging metadata can be attributed to what you
are talking about. You are comparing apples and oranges. You can either
compare packaging systems like RPM and DEB or distributions like Fedora
and Debian or organizations like Red Hat (organization behind Fedora and
Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SPI (organization behind Debian), Canonical
(organization behind Ubuntu).

Note that Fedora is also a free and open source distribution with a very
similar philosophy to Debian (atleast as far as licensing is concerned)

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing

Rahul