[PLUG] Un Copying!! :-)

ഓം guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:46:08 IST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Pranav Peshwe <pranavpeshwe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM, ഓം <guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> After spending whatever years playing with Linux I still find people
>> who do neither know free software nor that indian languages are
>> available freely on Linux and that one does not need to buy software
>> like Ankur to just write in Marathi.
>

> When you have (as you say) found those people, why not write to them
> personally ? IMO, that would be better.
> A small signature under every email you send to anybody, saying 'Linux is
> free software. You can write even in Indian languages using it!' should
> accomplish what you wish to do. A link to a good tutorial would be even more
> helpful.

All of that if already being done using all private channels one lead
at a time :-)

>> Because all these people  and things matter to Linux.
>>

> Okay.
> But, how is anything that you have mentioned about Linux and people
> education etc.  related to the 'Un Copying!! :-)' post of yours ?

I wanted to clear a doubt about usual propoganda of buying genuine and
original software that many people tend to hear when they are
switching to Linux from Windows world...

I tried making it generic instead of specifically replying to AD's
post because it is *so*

> My question was directed at such posts of yours, not at your intentions in
> general.

Thanks for your generosity!

Usually I end up spending 15 minutes telling people about how it is
perfectly legal to copy Linux OS (distribution) and that costs me my
time.  So sending such mail once in a while ensures any new comers
become aware of such nontrivial trivialities!!  It's interesting to
note that most Linux veterans develop lack of such passion once they
cross certain level...