[PLUG] Libertine fonts - common windows fonts replacement

Chetan S cshring at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 12:21:13 IST 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Vaibhav Kulkarni <netvaibhav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now check out the Libertine fonts available from RedHat.  These fonts
>> are a superior substitute to windows special fonts like Arial and
>> Times New roman.
>
> Nice font. Although it is a substitute for Times New Roman only and
> not Arial (there's no Sans Serif version).

Its indeed a work in progress. i.e every regular update for your
distro should get you the updated version.
There is a sans serif version which is a part of ttf-liberation fonts.

> And is this font really from Red Hat? May be you are confusing it with
> Liberation fonts.

My bad for all the confusion.

So for the record - I was recommending Liberation fonts in my earlier mails.

Liberation fonts = replacement for Times New Roman and few other
windows fonts. From RedHat
Libertine fonts = replacement for Times New Roman. A separate project
http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net

oh and liberation sans does replace arial very nicely. Try it.
Openoffice and firefox in ubuntu 8.04 already pick it up as the
replacement by default.

regards,