[PLUG] Need LiveCD for Students to learn C

Desi Penguin desipenguin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 09:00:30 IST 2008

> Digressing a bit - how about _not_ allowing an IDE at all ? IMHO, using a
> console based editor is an important and essential skill when operating
> *nix
> kind of OSes. Also, using IDEs right from the beginning will keep the
> student in dark about what goes into compiling and debugging a program.
> And

I personally agree, and I'm doing my bit.

But this student comes to me for consultation, and I do not control rest of
his learning time (college lab/home)
I've started with gEdit and gcc. Personally I would prefer to teach Vi/Vim,
but then my focus would move from "C" to "Vi".

-DP

--
On the internet, no one knows you are a penguin