[PLUG] Ideal Swap partition size

Devendra Laulkar devendra at laulkar.com
Sun Mar 23 18:06:34 IST 2008

Hi,

> ---
> You can run a bash script with a vmstat that adds new files with thresholds.
> But realistically, why not just give 2 GB ?

Because to a person who is just "trying out" linux by allocating 5-6GB
of hard disk space, 2GB does matter a lot :)
The person is already taking some effort and trying out a GNU/Linux
distro. He/She is already making space of 6-7 GB just to try out what
this hoopla about Free and Open Source software is all about.
This 6-7GB of partition is not accessible from her favorite operating
system(well, not by default).
Non techie users will always go by age old wisdom handed by techie
users(which was swap = 2 * RAM in this case). However sometimes we have
to revise wisdom from time to time :)
My 2 ps.

-Devendra Laulkar.