[PLUG] Ideal Swap partition size

sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 23:12:18 IST 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Devendra Laulkar <devendra at laulkar.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  > ---
>  > You can run a bash script with a vmstat that adds new files with thresholds.
>  > But realistically, why not just give 2 GB ?
>
>  Because to a person who is just "trying out" linux by allocating 5-6GB
>  of hard disk space, 2GB does matter a lot :)
>  The person is already taking some effort and trying out a GNU/Linux
>  distro. He/She is already making space of 6-7 GB just to try out what
>  this hoopla about Free and Open Source software is all about.
>  This 6-7GB of partition is not accessible from her favorite operating
>  system(well, not by default).
>  Non techie users will always go by age old wisdom handed by techie
>  users(which was swap = 2 * RAM in this case). However sometimes we have
>  to revise wisdom from time to time :)
>  My 2 ps.

If this is going to be a newbie trial case, I would strongly recommend
to try out making various individual partitions (for var, usr etc.)
and also try different sizes of swap partition.

when the newbie gets the feel of the system behaviour in different
conditions, he/she becomes comfortable and confident with the system.

Using virtualisation is also a good idea. But considering that the
user is a newbie, that wont work out well.
He/she must understand the virtualisation things before going for
trials of guest OS. And if the user is already comfortable with
virtualisation, installing linux is very easy for them :-) As such, I
feel that virtualisation is not the correct solution for a newbie.

-Sudhanwa

www.sudhanwa.com